Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bottle harvesting Rogue Pacman yeast.

I made a trip to Total Wine & Spirits yesterday and picked up a six pack of New Belgium Ranger IPA, a six pack of Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale, and a bomber of Rogue Somer Orange Honey Ale. I wanted to attempt harvesting yeast from the bottle, so I decided to try and propagate the Pacman yeast which is Rogue Brewery's signature strain, and is sold as a seasonal or VSS (Very Special Strain) strain by Weast Laboratories, Inc.



I poured a glass for myself and my wife (sorry about the picture quality):




While drinking this light refreshing wheat beer, I allowed the dregs to warm up to room temperature:


I used Munton's extra light DME at a 10:1 ratio of water to DME. 473.2 mL of water to 47 grams of DME or 16 fluid oz water/1.67 oz DME.


I boiled everything for approximately 10 minutes:


In the last 5 mintues I added about 1/2 a capsule of White Labs Servomyces, and some Yeast Energizer:



I chilled everything to approximately 65°F.


Before pitching my bottle dregs into my growler (I have yet to purchase an Erlenmeyer Flask) I made sure to flame the bottle opening to reduce the chances of contamination:


After pitching my bottle dregs into my Thunder Canyon Brewery growler, I placed it onto the stir plate where I will let it ferment for 24 hours before stepping it up.


...and this is my Pacman Yeast starter outline, it will take approximatley 3 days to achieve my desired volume of 2 Liters.


I will post results as soon as I have them...stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. any update? i bought this exact bottle with the intention of harvesting and stepping up. How did yours come out and did you make any beer with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for not posting results in a timely manner. The starter grew well, I ended up with about 1 entire White Labs vial full of yeast. I plan on brewing a fruit beer yeast whenever I can. My kegerator is on the fritz, and I am concentrating on fixing it before brewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just used this method for an IPA I brewed last night. I harvested Pacmen from Oregasmic and Orange Honey bombers. I didn't notice any activity in the first stage of harvesting (tried putting an airlock on for a few minutes to check for CO2, tried shaking to produce foam), so I let it sit for about a week. The yeast cake looked bigger and my tests started to show results, so I stepped it up two more times over the next two days. I then cold crashed for a couple nights and decanted the beer off it during my brew.

    I pitched my IPA onto the cake and it was foaming and churning quite vigorously by this morning! Thanks for the guide!

    ReplyDelete