Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Another mead gravity check...

Once again, I checked the gravity of my mead...

It has only been 4 days since my last SG check, but airlock activity has really slowed so I thought it would be a good idea to take another reading.

As you can see the SG reads about 1.0105-1.011, I'll call it 1.011 @ 76.8°F which adjusts to 1.013. A drop of 19 points in 4 days...it still amazes me.


I did  stir the must gently to degass it. Elevated co2 levels can become toxic to the yeast. Agitating by stirring or using a degassing wand, while not aerating releases a good deal of the co2 which can help the yeast fully attenuate.

I wanted to brew an American Strawberry Wheat this weekend, but work foiled my plans...again.

On a side note:
For those of you who know me well, you know that I will be attending the University of Arizona starting this fall. I don't know exactly what will be happening at my current job. It was explained to me that my schedule would be worked with, however, I have a feeling that is going to change. Regardless, I am giving up a great salary, though my work schedule sucks and work always seems to find away to ruin my personal schedule. Maybe I'm whining like a little girl, but for being a 14 year veteran I was under the impression that I would have to work harder yet have to be there less. It turns out I have to work harder and be there more, and after having my first born this past March, the prospect of me staying with this company is becoming less appealing. For the most part I enjoy my skill, but I detest the retail environment and being in upper management, I have the great opportunity of taking shit from both ends of the dookie spectrum.

My point being, maybe I will have more time to spend with my son:


...and more time to brew:

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed your blog. I just stumbled upon it today while looking for kegerator ideas. Have you been able to hook up that thermostat to yours yet? If so, could you do a write up on how you managed to do it. I'm looking at that same fridge and would like to add an external thermostat as well. Anyways, looking forward to seeing the results of your sours and your mead. Keep us updated.

    -Lee (modobrew)

    ReplyDelete