Monday, July 5, 2010

BDSA update #3, the numbers are in...

The check of my BDSA this evening yielded a SG of 1.018 @ 74°F, which corrected comes in at 1.020. The estimated FG was 1.023, so I pretty much hit my mark after the 2.5 lb turbinado sugar addition. Ironically enough, I used a calculator for the adding the sugar which stated the sugar addition needed to be 2.5lbs, and in a previous post I did the math by "hand" and it showed I only needed 2.25lbs, I wonder if the .25lb is the difference between my estimated FG of 1.023, and my actual FG of 1.020. There is only a 0.5% differnece in the ABV, but I'd rather make my clacs by hand if they are more accurate than the calculator. I used the calculator because it takes into account the volume the sugar adds. Regardless, the numbers are close enough, however I'm still curious.



The numbers:

OG - 1.087

SG - (after 2.5 lb sugar addition) 1.103

FG - 1.020

That's an ABV of 10.91% and 79% Apparent Attennuation!

The sample had the warmth of alcohol in the throat, a nice maltiness and some clove flavor, with a pronounced banana note. It was quite tasty for being as young as the beer is. I'm certain that after a few months of aging this beer will be exceptional, and with its 11% ABV, drinking only one will put you in your place.

I plan to bulk age this beer in a keg for 3 months, then I will use additional yeast and prime a portion of it for bottle conditioning, while leaving the reamider on tap. The advantage of bottle conditioning is that the yeast helps to allow the beer to stay "fresh" longer during the aging/conditoning process, and it isn't uncommon to age a beer this "big" for over a year.

I hope to rack this beer to the keg tomorrow, and I will take a final SG sample to be thorough and make certain the FG hasn't changed. I'm also going to rinse ( I prefer the term "rinse" opposed to "wash", because I'm not actually acid washing the yeast) the yeast, which I may chronicle in my next post if I can remember to snap photos. If not, I will be sure to detail the process in a later post.

I am almost out of the North English Brown that I brewed  May 8th, 2010;  a nice sessionable beer at 4% ABV.  The keg will be kicked any pour now, and I would like to have something on tap, so as usual my plans may change, so stay tuned for update #4.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment